Lesson Overview: In this lesson students will be introduced to Cubism and the different artists during Cubism.
We will explore aspects of art history of Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque cubist work.
We will explore this artistic style by looking at David Hockneys Photomontages and making a Photomontage of our own.
Lesson Objectives- The students will…
Be able to identify cubist works (namely the works of Picasso, Braque, and the Cubist-inspired works of David Hockney).
Develop compositional skills.
Continue the development of their sense of composition.
Learn to appreciate the visual aspects of one’s surroundings by shooting a whole scene from standing in one spot.
Overlap the 36 pictures that they took in order to make the whole scene interesting
Express or create a work showing a time frame, such as shooting during different times of the day.
Think of what the final composition will be while shooting.
Put together all the pictures they took into Photoshop and work with them individually in order to make one final print
Continue the development of critical analysis in a positive manner.
Respect the work done by others.
Use of slides to show famous works
Books on Cubism and Cubist artists
Art Supplies and Equipment:
1.Digital Camera (or camera and film/disposable)
4.Scanner if using film
Teaching Activities: Teacher should…
· (Art History) Introduce the technique of Cubism-history of its beginnings, important artists who contributed to the birth of Cubism
· Show power point, slides, and/or books of Cubist works, discuss each one, ask students to identify the Cubist aspects/features.
· Introduce works by David Hockney with slide, books, etc. Discuss Cubist features in his work. Have students identify similarities-where/how
he might have been influenced by Cubism.
· Show an example of how to do a photomontage. Show them that instead of just taking one photo of something, they can take small images of
different areas of the photo in order to make a whole.
· Make sure that the students aren’t taking the photos from too far away, because this seems to be the biggest problem of this project.
· Suggest that the students can have a person in their photomontage, and that if they move the person around, they can have them in the shot
many times (as long as the person isn’t overlapping where they were just standing).
· Explain overview of unit
· Give students assignment.
Student Activities: Students should…
Identify the cubist aspects/features of Cubists works
Discuss how David Hockney fits into Cubism
Sketch ideas into their sketchbooks
Find a scene whether outside or inside that they want to capture. Stand close to that scene and take a large amount of pictures of different areas
in that scene in order to put them together to make one large scene like a puzzle.
Take the pictures at different times so that it shows a time frame. If you are shooting outside, shoot some early in the morning, and some later in
the evening so that the lighting is different to show a time frame.
Take their pictures and fit them together in Photoshop in order to make one large print out of the each small individual photo of the scene.
Print and Mount their final piece and write a half page paper about it.
Be respectful and courteous during the critique of the final pieces.
1. Critique- Evaluation of students’ artworks
2. Composition- The combining of distinct parts or elements to form a whole
3. Cubism- Characterized by the reduction and fragmentation of natural forms into abstract, often geometric structures usually rendered as a set of discrete planes.
This should be done in a computer lab where each student has their own computer
Have student’s pair up with a partner that they work well with in order for them to take pictures of each other.
Have students pair up in order to use the digital camera
Make sure at the end of class that each student is saving their project onto some sort of zip disk or CD
Make sure they are checking back in the digital cameras
Studio Project (60 pts):
Use of digital camera 5
Use of Photoshop tools 5
Use of elements/principles of art 10
Expression of a time frame 15
Final composition 15
Class Participation (25pts):
Sketches in sketchbook 5
Time management 5
Participation in group critiques 5
Short paragraph on individual work 5
UNIT TOTAL: 85 POINTS
A=90-100% B=80-89% C=70-79% D=60-69% F=0-59%