Artc 409 Fall 2002
PART I: Resume and Cover Letter v.2
Complete the SECOND DRAFT of your Resume & Cover Letter
DUE: Thursday, October 17
- Be sure to spell / grammar check
- REALLY CONSIDER your ARTISTIC LAYOUT on this draft
- Hand in a hard copy
- You are required to meet with someone at
Career Services. Write their name and date on
the back of your resume.
- Final Draft will be due with your Presentation Package on Tuesday, December 3
PART II: Reading: SIGGRAPH 2001 Art Gallery N-Space
Selections from the SIGGRAPH 2001 Art Gallery N-Space will be exhibited in our own Dorothy Uber Bryan Gallery.
We will tour the gallery as a class. In preparation, read the intro statement and artist statements found on the
DUE: Thursday, October 17
Here is the list of contributing artists.
PART III: Research: "Which Path and How?"
Choose ONE of these "PATHS" that you may follow after you graduate:
DUE THURSDAY, October 31
- Graduate School*: (Find contacts, type of program, application and requirements, portfolio limitations, etc.)
- Industry / Job: (Find contacts, company names, their specialties and clients, materials needed for app, etc.)
- Gallery or Museum: (Find contacts, gallery names, submission process, type of work shown there, etc.)
RESEARCH and FIND THREE "POTENTIALS" on the web. Find out:
the URLS so that I can put all of the resources on our class website by Thursday, October 31
- What materials they request and in what format and
- The Application Due Date (if applicable).
Results of Graduate School Research
Results of Job Research
Then, for your written assignment, CHOOSE ONE of your researched POTENTIALS and type a
report with the following sections:
*Graduate school candidates: Include an essay if they require it.
- Paragraph describing the Information that you gathered (on the type of institution/ company, etc.)
- Describe the materials you will need to send. For each, describe in detail. For example, a demo reel that is 3 minutes long, starting with "x" animation, followed byŠ..
- III. Prepare a mock letter, a resume, and depending on what they ask for, a statement or biography. You may indicate visual enclosures in cover letter, no need to include them for this assignment.
PART IV: Enter A Juried Show / Festival
PART A: DUE THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17
- Find at least THREE (3) different potential shows and/or film & video festivals with
upcoming (not outdated) deadlines. Find out the:
- Application Deadline
- Name of the Show
- Entry Fee (if any)
- Category (choose 1: Fine Art-any, Animation, Web Art, Digital Imaging, Other (define)
- Email me this information AND the links to the
information pages on these opportunities. **If they are NOT online, bring in the actual forms.
Upcoming Art Exhibition Links
Upcoming Film Festival Links
PART B: DUE THURSDAY, November 7
You will be graded on the professionalism and completeness of this packet.
- Choose one of these exhibitions that you would like to enter (it could be one you or one of
your classmates found).
- Get the prospectus (download, copy, or contact them for one)
- Prepare your entry. Turn In:
- Copy of prospectus
- Actual materials you will send (label tapes and slides correctly, slides should be packaged correctly),
- Real or Fake check (if applicable),
- SASE, and
- Whatever else the prospectus requires.
- Consider including a cover letter and/or artist statement
You do NOT need to actually mail this, but after all this work, you should really consider doing so!
NOTE: NO CLASS ON THURSDAY, OCTOBER 17 - Fall Break
Back to Syllabus