ARTC 3440, Spring 2013
Digital Video Art
Midterm Technical Exam Study Guidelines
EXAM: Wednesday, March 27
What to Study / How to Prepare for Digital Video Art Midterm Technical Exam:
This is a hands-on, one-on-one exam. Be prepared to demonstrate / Show the following:
- Hook up your external hard drive.
- Create a new project and set the scratch disk using the System Settings
- Arrange desktop to Dual Screen Editing.
- Create a new Bin and Set it as the Logging Bin
- Hook up the camcorder (provided)
- Digitize a shot (tape provided) using Log and Capture.
- Enter a reel name
- Hit Capture Now and digitize about 10 seconds of footage.
- Copy the "Import Me" folder on the Workspace to your Capture Scratch on your hard drive.
- In FCP: Import the files from the "Import Me" folder on your hard drive.
- Create a new Sequence called "FCP Exam"
- Open the new clip in the Viewer and
- Set an In and Out point for about an 8-second clip.
- Create a black Slug and put it in the timeline
- Create a title that says My Exam, using Gill Sans font (bold) that is light blue.
- Put the title over the Slug in the timeline
- Bring the 8-second clip into the timeline after the title.
- Choose a second clip and do an Insert edit after the first clip. Repeat with another clip.
- Create a transition (Cross Dissolve) between the slug and the first video clip.
- Change the Speed of the 2nd clip to 50%.
- In the Sequence Settings, turn on "Show Audio Waveforms"
- Use the Blade tool to trim the last clip (make it shorter)
- Color correct one clip using the Color Corrector 3-way effect.
- Add a Blur effect to one of the clips in your timeline.
- Add KEYFRAMES to slowly blur the clip from 0% to 20% over a few seconds.
- Show how to turn on the overlays in the timeline to see the opacity and audio level paths.
- Add an audio Crossfade to the audio clips in the timeline
- In the BROWSER: show how to sort by In point and view as Thumbnails.
- Know how to select and move clips around in the program, remove gaps.
- Export your file as a quicktime movie with the same settings as the sequence.
** Extra points for using Keyboard SHORTCUTS!
If you need a refresher, you may also come to my office hours, Wednesday 2:30-4:30pm.