ARTC 3440, Fall 2015
Digital Video Art
In-Class Video / Sound / Lighting Exercise- First Day of Class!!
YOU HAVE ONLY 50 MINUTES TOTAL to complete this assignment !!
1) With a partner: Take 10-15 minutes (total, 5-7 min per person) to interview each other: Take written notes! As they are sharing about themselves, start thinking of how / where you might shoot their video intro and which stories are most interesting and memorable. Ask:
- To become familiar and comfortable with the video camcorder, learn how to "RUN & GUN"
- To get to know your classmates (since you will need help shooting sometime this semester!)
- To learn to think and plan quickly
- To take a turn at acting, directing, and shooting
- To explore in and around this fantastic building (although please without disturbing anyone)!
As your partner is answering the questions, listen for ideas about how you might “frame” their interview. Think about LOCATION - what would be a good place (nearby on campus) where their STORY can be told. What kind of introduction do you want to give, which story will you share? Will they introduce themselves, or will you tell their story? How will you tell it?
- What is your name and age?
- Where are you from?
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
- Show me your scars. Where & how did you get them?
- What was the most valuable thing you owned as a child? AND what is your most valuable possession now? Why?
- When was the last time you did something for the first time? Tell us about it.
Once you have completed this informal “research” about your partner and chosen a location and format/structure for your videos, return to room 202 to pick up a camcorder.
Return to room 202 to borrow a camcorder and tripod. Do you need a microphone? Get a quick lesson on your specific camcorder.
2) Use the remaining 20-30 minutes to create TWO videos (one for each of you!). Each take a turn as:
3) Produce one 3-minute video for your partner (NOT LONGER) that introduces him/her to the class. The only requirements are:
- Director & Videographer: (concept development, planning, directing, shooting)
- Actor / Interviewee: (subject of the video) * note, you may have to be both director & videographer for your piece
- They (or you) must be introduced with their name, age, and where they are from.
- During the video, you must reveal some of the information gathered during the discussion of the questions
- Choose a great location (in / around the Wolfe Center)
- Try to reveal a bit of your / their personalities in the piece!
- BE CREATIVE! Play with the camera angles, staging, composition, etc.
- BE A PRO! White balance, manual focus, select the best lighting for the mood of the piece!
If you have any technical trouble, please come back to room 202 for assistance!
Try to create a compelling video that shares a story about your partner in a memorable way!
INTERVIEW <•> INTERPRET <•> PLAN <•> STAGE <•> SHOOT
Back to Syllabus