ARTC 331 Take Home Quiz
Reading 2 - Chapter 6 from Postmodern Currents
Please complete the following quiz. You will discuss this article with
Greg Little tomorrow, Tuesday 9/17.
Complete this and hand it in at the
start of class on Thursday 9/19. You will be graded.
You may EMAIL me
or hand in a neatly written page.
***HINT: Use the class discussion as a way to find the answers!
- According to the author, how is the internet a different medium than
- Describe the idea of a "new medium of art as communication". What is
communicated and how is it different?
- Interactive systems...replace conceptual systems founded on ideas of
center, margin, heirarchy, and linearity. How does this concept / system
change the dissemination of knowledge? Describe this new system and how
it is different.
- How does Roy Ascott describe the difference in communication and
experiences in interactive communities?
- What role(s) do artists lay in interactive telecommunication systems,
according to the author?
- According to Sherrie Rabinowitz, what are the implications of the new
technological conditions and their effect on artist and the concept of
- What are three of the limitations of creating Visual Works on the
web? What are some of the advantages?
- What does the WWW offer to museums? What does it take away?
- Compare and contrast Baudrillard's and Deluze & Guattari's ideas
about technology. Where do YOU stand on this issue?
- How had technology advanced since this book was written in Nov 1996?
Give an example of some thing that was not possible than that is
possible now (In web technology).
- Choose one of the artworks mentioned in this chapter - the one you
are most interested in technologically or conceptually. Search the web
for more information on this artwork and write a brief paragraph giving
more detail on 1-the users' experience, 2-the technology utilized,
3-Provide three (3) links to more info on the web.
Back to Syllabus