Information for FTP / Fetching your files up to digitalarts:
September 26, 2002
Information for FTP / Fetching your files up to Creativity:
** DO NOT FORGET TO NAME THE FIRST PAGE YOU WANT THE VIEWER TO SEE: index.html
- Fetch / FTP Configurations:
User ID: your username (i.e. helliott)
Password: same as your artserver account
- The folder you are put into is your web folder so you just need to upload an index.html
and your other pages so that
- The URL to access your website will be
where username is the username they use to login to the computers.
- If any student has problems e-mail me<.A> and we can fix it
- Once done, check the link and make sure it works.
Copy your files into YOUR folder only in exactly the same configuration as on your Z: account or disk.
(i.e. all files must be in the same relative folders).
Use ASCII / TEXT for .html files
Use BINARY for image files (.gif and .jpg ONLY!)
** Don't copy your ORIGINAL files (.psd)
AUTO / Automatic will work for basic image and text files, but not shockwave/flash formats.
Your index.html must be at the base level of your folder, a good strategy is:
In yourname folder:
It is easiest to keep all of your html pages together at the same base level . This way when you
do your coding your A HREF tag is just "filename.html", and you don't have to worry about using
the folder/filename.html coding. (../../)
- index.html (YOUR MAIN PAGE)
- images (folder holding your images)
IN WS-FTP PROGRAM (on the NTs):
Local System = Z: drive (scroll down) & find files
Remote Site = your folder on digitalarts
Use Arrows to move files back and forth
IN FETCH (on the Macs):
- Open your folder on tempstorage or your disk / Z: account.
- Login to digitalarts.bgsu.edu
- Open your directory.
- Using the mouse, select and DRAG the files directly from your desktop to the server.
- Test the files on digitalarts.bgsu.edu/portfolios/login
For Tuesday's Crit...
Putting this all together will take some time, but you've had weeks to get all the materials
together. All your gallery contents are ready, your resume / text should be ready. Just work
in Photoshop layers for your design of the main page. Slice your images and add rollovers and/or
image maps if you like.
- Upload all of your necessary files to your folder.
- You should have all of the pages and links working properly, layout correct, etc. It should be
a COMPLETELY WORKING PORTFOLIO! You do not need to include the rollovers yet, if you don't feel
on our class' main page for more info and to help you with coding.
- TEST YOUR LINKS....Go through EVERY page and make sure they all work!
- Be ready to give GOOD FEEDBACK that is HELPFUL for your classmates. Think about:
- Color, Design, Layout / Composition of page, (principles/elements of design)
- User friendliness (is it easy to navigate?)
- Originality in idea / display of personality
- Speed in loading (Is it optimized fully?)
- Functionality - is everything WORKING? (no broken links, etc.)
** MAKE SURE YOU HAVE UPLOADED AND TESTED YOUR FILES PRIOR TO START OF CLASS!!! WE WILL NOT HAVE
TIME TO FTP IN CLASS, AS WE WILL NEED TO BEGIN IMMEDIATELY WITH THE CRITIQUE!
Please contact me if you have any problems this weekend.
Opening New Custom Size Windows |
Back to Syllabus