Part 1: Depiction of Women and Men in Games
From barely identifiable to overtly sexual: the woman's journey in gaming
The Girls of Gaming
EU report: women objectified in games. Ars: and in other media
Video gaming magazines' depictions of male strength influences boys
Character selections in games (available types and genders)
Abilities of characters
Gener-based themes in games
Harrassment and assumptions based on gender
Body image - male and female expectations of self
DEBATE - Gender representation in video games has no effect on real life and it does not matter how men and women are depicted - it is a fictional world and fantasy only.
Pro: Depiction of gender in video games is not a problem because it is only fiction.
Con: Gender depiction in video games effects how people interact and think in our real world and we need to change how we depict people in games.
Girls Playing Video Games
Notes to consider:
Comments and Recommendations from the Girls 'n' Gaming event at UCLA 2006
- Girls play games.
- Developers shouldn't try to focus on "girl game design" -- stereotyping game design by gender leads to missteps.
- Player-generated content is popular amongst girls, as is social gameplay.
- "Cuteness" in games, like anime and manga culture in Japan, encourages girls to get involved in gameplay.
- Women gamers and girl gamers are different; women and teenage girls have different demands on their time.
- Girls and women shouldn't just be gamers, but developers too.
NPD Group research Study on Kids and Gaming:Girls tend to leave gaming behind as they get older, while boys tend to move from PC games to console and cell phone games.
Girls spend more time with online games than boys.
All Woman Gamers, Please Stand Up (read the comments too)
DEBATE - Girls are not naturally attracted to video gamesbecause of a variety of reasons (competition, violence, graphic depictions, technical abilities, hand-eye coordination, logical thinking skills, they see how much time is wasted on them, they have better things to do with their spare time, they like playing games that involve real-life components
Pro: Girls don't like or play video games because they don't consider what females like to do in their spare time.
Con: There is no problem, girls play video games and the games available are fine like they are.